Bulgarian Children Need You
SPENCE-CHAPIN BEGAN ITS ADOPTION PROGRAM IN BULGARIA IN 1995. Spence-Chapin partners with ANIDO, a Bulgarian non-governmental organization licensed by the Ministry of Justice, Bulgaria's central authority for adoption. Many of the children waiting for adoption are healthy school age children and sibling groups. Every month we hear about new children who are ready for adoption and it is typical for a family to be matched with a child within 6 months.
CHILDREN IN NEED OF FAMILIES
- Healthy boys ages 9 and older, healthy girls ages 12 and older
- Sibling groups with at least one sibling over age 10
- Some children have physical and/or intellectual disabilities
- Toddlers and children with significant medical needs
Common medical conditions include Hepatitis B, auditory and visual impairments, extreme prematurity, developmental and/or learning delays, and unpredictable cognitive challenges.
- Children reflect the full range of ethnicities in Bulgaria and are primarily of Roma descent
Dave and Kristine adopted three siblings from Bulgaria – hear their story!
- Heterosexual married couples, single men, and single women are eligible to adopt
- Applicants 55 and older should consult with Spence-Chapin
- Matched with a child 6-12 months after paperwork submission
- Travel approximately 3-4 months after acceptance of referral
- 2 trips of 7-14 days to Bulgaria
- Post-adoption reports required at 6, 12, 18, and 24 months after the child comes home
- Hague Convention Country
Compare all adoption programs: download Adoption Program Grid.
Where is Bulgaria?
Read the Department of State adoption alerts about Bulgaria here.