Counseling and Community
Services are provided through Spence-Chapin’s Modern Family Center.
We are here to help. We are a community that understands you and your family.
Spence-Chapin’s Modern Family Center provides birth parents, adoptive parents, and adoptees a supportive community and a connection to professionals who understand the unique aspects of adoption.
- Our Mentorship Program for adopted middle and high school students empowers adoptees through friendship, building self-confidence and challenging them to discover and understand their adoption identities and experiences.
- Community Events: meet other adoptive families at monthly playgroups (Bagels & Blox), cultural events, lifebook workshops, and community celebrations! Sign up on our calendar!
- Community Education workshops for families, parent groups, and professionals including schools, religious organizations, PTAs, camps, and community groups.
- Emotional Support from adoption-competent therapists: Call today for a free consultation! Parent coaching, birthland trip preparation, individual or family counseling, search & reunion support, navigating open adoption
- Interactive ADHD Training Video: Spence-Chapin is committed to supporting and advocating for children with ADHD and their families. Our licensed professionals use evidence based assessment tools to help children develop the skills and self-esteem necessary to manage ADHD with little to no medication. To provide the best treatment model possible, the therapists at Spence-Chapin’s Modern Family Center have developed a video to help parents better understand the signs and symptoms of ADHD in children. Watch the video to learn more.
- Birthland trips for adopted persons and their families to visit their birth country.
- Personal Adoption History for adoptees, birth parents, and siblings.
Clinical services for Children and Adults
Our experienced staff of adult and child therapists help individuals, couples, and families navigate challenges, life transitions, relationships, parenting, anxiety, or depression. We offer counseling through our offices on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, NYC, and Brooklyn, NYC. Our counseling services are offered on a sliding scale to adoptees, birth parents, and adoptive parents.
- Family and relationship problems
- Parenting & couples issues
- ADHD Treatment for Children
- Parenting Coaching: individualized plan to help you and your family get back on track.
MEET OUR THERAPISTS
Clinical Social Work/Therapist, LCSW
Clinical Social Work/Therapist, LCSW-R
Ana Maria Leon Gomez
Licensed Mental Health Counselor/Clinician, LMHC
Our therapists offer culturally sensitive and LGBTQ-affirming care in Spanish and English. Our therapists are adoption competent to work with birth parents, adoptive parents, and adoptees.
We have received the Human Rights Campaign’s All Children – All Families Seal of Approval for our competency working with LGBTQ adults and children.