Bulgarian Children Need You
SPENCE-CHAPIN BEGAN ITS ADOPTION PROGRAM IN BULGARIA IN 1995. Spence-Chapin partners with ANIDO, a Bulgarian non-governmental organization licensed by the Ministry of Justice, Bulgaria's central authority for adoption. Many of the children waiting for adoption are healthy school age children and sibling groups. Every month we hear about new children who are ready for adoption.
CHILDREN IN NEED OF FAMILIES
- Children between the ages of 0-15 years old, including siblings between 2- 15 years old
- The children most in need of adoption are medically healthy boys ages 9 and older and girls ages 12 and older
- Some children have physical and/or intellectual disabilities
- Toddlers and children with significant medical needs
Common medical conditions include Down syndrome, auditory and visual impairments, extreme prematurity, developmental and/or learning delays, and unpredictable cognitive challenges.
- Children reflect the full range of ethnicities in Bulgaria and are primarily of Roma descent
Dave and Kristine adopted three siblings from Bulgaria – hear their story!
- Heterosexual married couples, single men, and single women are eligible to adopt
- Applicants 55 and older should consult with Spence-Chapin
- Applicants’ mental health and medical conditions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Wait time to be matched with a child varies based on age and medical needs of child(ren) and is estimated from 6 months – 5 years after dossier submission
- Travel approximately 3-4 months after acceptance of referral
- 2 trips of 7-14 days to Bulgaria
- Post-adoption reports required at 6, 12, 18, and 24 months after the child comes home
- Hague Convention Country
- Professional Service Fees: $7,000 for families living outside of the New York City metropolitan area and $10,000 for families who are local to Spence-Chapin’s New York City offices. Country and immigration fees are additional.
- All families adopting through Spence-Chapin have access to the Adoption Finance Coach, who offers adoptive families the tools they need to create a customized financial plan to fund their adoption.
Compare all adoption programs: download Adoption Program Grid.
Where is Bulgaria?
Read the Department of State adoption alerts about Bulgaria here.