Spence-Chapin partners with FANA for our Colombia host-to-adopt program.
Spence-Chapin partners with The Foundation for the Assistance of Abandoned Children (FANA) in Colombia for a special host-to-adopt program. This is an opportunity to host a child or children in your home for three weeks over the fall before finalizing the adoption. Waiting children are boys and girls (including sibling groups) ages 11-14. Participating families must be located in the greater New York City area (includes Long Island, the Hudson Valley, New Jersey, and Connecticut).
Colombia Fall 2017 Host to Adopt Program Timeline:
- May 15, 2017: Adoption applications are due
- May – August, 2017: Begin home study and adoption trainings
- August 2017: Home study must be completed, due at this time to Colombia’s child welfare Central Authority.
- August – October 2017: Learning about the child or children family is matched with, continuing to prepare for hosting and adoption-related paperwork. Hosting dates will be decided by Colombia and announced during this time.
- Fall (October or November 2017): Hosting time is 2-3 weeks, supported by bilingual psychologist from adoption house FANA and Spence-Chapin staff
- December 2017 – June 2018: After hosting period, complete adoption paperwork to move forward with finalizing the adoption, estimate of 6 months though times will vary for families.
- Summer 2018: Travel to Colombia for approximately 4-6 weeks to finalize the adoption
Spence-Chapin launches Colombian host-adopt program for the tri-state community.
Two exciting updates from Instituto Colombiano de Beinestar Familiar (ICBF): Spence-Chapin was re-accredited by ICBF this past summer and the organization has recently appointed a new Director General, Diego Molano Aponte. Molano Aponte was the Presidential Advisor for Social Action and has been one of the pioneers of the Social Action Programs and Red States in Colombia. In addition, he leads the Government's efforts to eradicate poverty. Spence-Chapin is currently exploring a unique summer host-to-adopt program for children 8 and older. If you believe that an older child (or siblings) would be good fit for your family, this could be an opportunity for you. We believe in the resiliency and adoptability of older children who are in need of permanent and loving homes. For more information, please call 212-400-8150.
Dia de los Reyes Magos (aka Epiphany) is celebrated on January 6, 2012. This is a national holiday celebrated in Colombia and officially marks the end of the holiday season. It is a commemoration of the day when the three kings arrive with their gifts.